Welcome to UKDPC
Welcome to UKDPC. We are the national umbrella organisation of disabled people, run and controlled by, and representing the voices of disabled people in the UK.
Along with our members, we believe in, and strive for, the full inclusion of disabled people in society and the workplace. For us, inclusion is a human rights and civil liberties issue that must be effectively tackled. By working in partnership with disabled people’s organisations, the government and other bodies, we believe that equality can be achieved.
Our vision is of a world where disabled adults and children can enjoy their full human rights and civil liberties; a world where disabled people can fulfil their life ambitions without discrimination, isolation and institutionalisation.
We work towards achieving our vision via the following objectives:
- Being the national pan impairment umbrella organisation which represents the views of its member groups;
- Securing effective resources including; knowledge, finance and expertise, that enables us to effectively work towards the attainment of our vision;
- Strengthening the role of disabled people’s organisations in the UK to promote the rights of disabled people at a local, regional and national level and deliver services which promote independent living;
- Working with legislators and policy makers to:
- promote civil rights for disabled people and challenge discriminatory practice;
- challenge the effectiveness of services used by disabled people to achieve independent living;
- ensure that they are involving disabled adults and children in decision making processes and that their voice is being heard.
- Working with international partners, including the European Disability Forum and Disabled Peoples International to:
- share good practice across nations;
- become allies in the promotion of human rights and civil liberties of disabled people across the world.